QRP operation is considered using power levels of 5 watts or less CW and 10 watts or less SSB.

I like weak signals

Do more with less...QRP

Sunday, April 29, 2012

FT-817ND Review

This is quite possibly the best radio I have ever owned. I know, big statement.... This little QRP rig is feature packed, but gets my thumbs up for 4 basic reasons as follows: #1 - Very small "footprint". Transciever is quite small in size #2 - It covers 160m thru 70cm, all modes. All most commonly used bands. #3 - completely self contained 70cm -160m : only requiring resonant antenna connection. #4 - Collins filter options make this radio quite selective: A joy to operate CW. This radio is feature packed, and with the EXCEPTION of only having 5 watts ouput, could be the only rig you would ever need. Tokyo Hi Power offers a 50w amp to mate with the FT817, but its a bit pricey..(IMHO) I rate the FT-817ND a 9.8 out of 10...(10 being perfect, nothings perfect-hi) (yes- I believe in times of emergency/disaster you should be able to use higher power to carry out the desired/critical communication) With the exception of Dxpeditions or rare times when I REALLY want to make the contact, I operate QRP. After trying it almost 2 years ago, Ive been hooked and find it to be TONS OF FUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment